Pest Proof Your Arizona Home for Summer
With longer days and warmer evenings setting in, summer is well on it’s way. It also serves as a reminder to Arizona homeowners to take steps to prevent unwanted pests that may find their way onto your property and into your home. Summer pest proofing in Arizona does not need to be difficult, and can save a lot of frustration if addressed early.
With the new season comes different pest challenges to face and another round of pest proofing. It’s an important action that can help your home stay pest-free and keep your family protected from unwanted and potentially harmful pests.
Potential Summer Pest Problems
Common household pests like scorpions, ants, and mosquitoes emerge during the summer months, seeking opportunities to feed and mate. We at Bug Guardian encourage homeowners to include summer pest control preparations into their home maintenance routines this spring in order to prepare for the increased activity during summer. Getting this out of the way before the high heat sets in not only saves you sweat and exhaustion, but will also help in preventing pest invasions before they become a problem.
Besides being a nuisance to you and your family, these pests can pose serious risks. For example, scorpions, particularly bark scorpions, are venomous and can cause serious medical problems for at risk populations. Biting pests, such as ants and mosquitoes can turn your yard from an enjoyable space for entertaining and activities, into a no-go zone.
Proactive and vigilant summer pest proofing and control is crucial in preventing pests from coming into your yard and home. The best defense is a strong offense. This “offense” we’re talking about is conducting a simple check of your home, performing any necessary maintenance, and sealing off your property and home from intruders.
Summer Pest Proofing Tips
Bug Guardian recommends the following home pest-proofing tips for summer:
- Check screens on attic vents and around chimney openings to make sure there are no tears
- Eliminate moisture sites, including leaking pipes, clogged drains and broken irrigation systems
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home using caulk and steel wool, paying close attention to where utility pipes enter your home
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles
- Replace loose mortar and weather-stripping around the basement foundation and windows
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house; keep shrubbery well-trimmed
- Install door sweeps and repair damaged screens
- Inspect items for signs of pest activity, such as boxes of holiday decorations and grocery bags, before bringing them indoors
Summer Pest Proof Help
While a do-it-yourself approach can help prevent a number of summer pest problems, contacting a professional pest control company is a great way to ensure nothing is overlooked. A pest control company, like Bug Guardian, will perform a thorough inspection of your home & property, recommending additional pest control actions, like barrier treatments or home seals. Working closely with you, a pest control professional can help you effectively identify all areas of need specific to your home, and take care of summer pest proofing before the problems begin.