Pests can affect more than just homes and office buildings – they can also affect businesses like restaurants. When a restaurant has a pest problem, finding a pest control company to eliminate the infestation may not be their only issue. They could suffer from unhappy customers, bad ratings, low sanitation scores, and more which makes it paramount that you prevent pests.
If you’re a restaurant owner, there are several habits you can develop to prevent pest infestations, including:
- Before accepting food shipments, inspect them for any signs of pests.
- Store food in airtight storage containers and keep them off of the floor and at the proper temperature.
- Don’t leave bulk food in cardboard containers, as they can attract cockroaches.
- Make sure your employees know where the grease traps are and that they’re cleaned out on a regular basis.
- Store your food on a first-in, first-out basis so that the oldest foods are used first and nothing is kept longer than it should be.
- Regularly clean any spills, food scraps, and crumbs from counters, shelves, floors, and other surfaces.
- Keep your trash bins tightly covered and empty them often.
- Make sure your dumpster is away from your back door and that the lid is fitted on it tightly.
- Regularly clean the inside and outside of your trash bins, as food can easily collect in many areas.
- Don’t keep your doors or windows propped open. This can invite outdoor pests inside.
- Make sure your door seals are tight and install door sweeps if there are gaps between the bottom of your doors and the floor.
- Fix any holes, cracks, or crevices in your walls and floors.
- If you have leaks in your sinks, pipes, or dishwasher, fix them quickly to eliminate excess moisture.
If you find a pest problem in your restaurant and are in need of assistance contact Bug Guardian Pest Prevention for help.