Physical Characteristics of Africanized Honey Bees in Phoenix
- Brownish-amber with black stripes across abdomen
- Measure 3/4” in length and fuzzy
- Four, translucent wings and six legs attached to the thorax, used for transporting pollen
- Africanized Honey Bees in Phoenix nest anywhere, including below ground, inside of trees, empty containers, etc.
- Bees will relocate if food sources are scarce or their hive is disturbed
- Unable to survive in extreme weather conditions
- Nectar and Pollen from flowers
- Mating occurs while bees are in flight
- Development of eggs spans from 16 to 24 days
- Queens live up to 4 years; Drones live up to 10 weeks, but typically die upon mating; Workers live up to 30 days
Related Pest Control Information and Warnings
- Africanized honey bees are also known as “Killer Bees”
- Extremely aggressive, responding to perceived threats with attacking swarms
- Perceived threats include noise and vibrations
If you notice an Africanized Honey Bee or have feel as though you have an infestation in your Phoenix property please feel free to call Bug Guardian at (480)345-2847.