Over the past few years we have seen a surge in request for help with rodents such as roof rats in Arizona homes. Here are some facts about rodents such as Roof Rats.
- All species of commensal rodents carry and spread various diseases. They include salmonellosis, plague, leptospirosis, hantaviriruses, and rickettsial pox.
- Rodents are often infested with fleas which they often share with those with whom they live.
- Rodents consume and contaminate significant numbers of the worlds food supply every year.
- Rodents cause extensive damage to properties by gnawing on wood and wiring, often causing fires.
- Commensal rodents are not native to the United States, they came from Europe with early explorers and settlers
- Mice are excellent climbers and can run up most any roughened surface without breaking stride.
- Mice Do not have bladders. They will relieve themselves at will anywhere.
- Rodents can enter a structure from a hole as small as 1/4 inch in diameter.